Aug 4, 2012
This is a very common error found in Arduino Enviroment,
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp = 0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect = 0x14, resp=0x00
Don’t worry follow the steps and you will be good to go.
I had this error in my arduino and got very worried, as I couldn’t find any proper solutions all over internet, and after surfing I found one post which told me what actually was wrong with it.
This problem is actually with the COM Port, which can be fixed from our windows control panel.
If you want to know what COM Port arduino is using, hook up the board, open the Arduino enviroment, Tools>Serial Port. As shown in Figure
If your Arduino COM port is not under COM 10, then follow these steps in order to change you COM port for arduino and get rid of this avrdude error
For windows 7:
- Go to Start and open Control Panel
- In Control Panel window, click on System, you will see basic information about your computer.
- On the left side find Device Manager and open it
- On Device Manager Window, Go to ports and find Arduino UNO (COM__) and double click to open it.
- In Arduino UNO (COM_) Port properties window, Change the bits per second to 115200.
- Goto Port settings and click on advance
- On the bottom you will see COM port number with a drop down menu.
- Select any COM Port available under 10, (The once not available will be saying “in use”)
- Press Ok, and your good to go.
After this when you get into Arduino environment, select the COM Port number on Tools> Serial Port and select the COM Port you just changed from port settings. And that should do the Trick.
Recently, I faced this problem again. I tried changing these COM Ports but it wont work. So i Finally decided to reinstall the software and went to their website and found a newer version. I downloaded the free copy and deleted the previous software from my windows and now its working perfectly fine ! get one newer version too from this link http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Best Of Luck!